+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What do I do?

Default What do I do?

Hey everybody!

Ok I have a HUGE delema! My favorite band does not currently have a bass player, so I auditioned.
    The manager told me that I did awesome on the bass playing, but they like being a four piece for the time being.
    I've made several videos covering their songs and hoping that they will see them.
    Should I keep pursuing, or should I give it a rest? If you think I should keep pususing, what should be my next course of action? This is the band I've been dreaming about playing with for years. I don't want to come off looking like a psycho.

Why are they auditioning bass players if they like being bassless?
    You've done all you can to show familiarity, interest and capability, so I'd say give it a rest. Are you currently in a band? If not, give some of the other bands in your area a try (or form your own). If you have a nagging suspicion that maybe they felt your playing was lacking, post a couple cover videos of their songs on websites like talkbass . com (or here if that's still allowed) and ask for honest, frank feedback. Good luck!

They never advertised that they were auditioning. I contacted them and the manager said I could audition if I wanted to. I just don't know if I should keep contacting them about it or if I should keep showing interest.

Sounds to me like they really aren't interested in a bass player joining their club.

Take your skills elsewhere - someplace where they will be appreciated.

Or maybe just hang around when they play and join in casually. As soon as they hear your badass bass, they'll have no choice but to invite you in!

- low life -

Quote Originally Posted by Elmeaux View Post
    Or maybe just hang around when they play and join in casually. As soon as they hear your badass bass, they'll have no choice but to invite you in!
    +1 Agree with Elmeaux. Never give up completely. Just hang around and take advantage of any opportunities that present themselves.

LW Gold Standard 5
    Carvin/Kiesel - Icon5, BB75, PB5, LB70
    Fender - Pbass (DiMarzio Ultra P pickups, Warmoth Jazz neck), American Deluxe PJ, MIJ Walnut Jazz, American Elite Jazz
    Alembic Spoiler
    Rickenbacker 4003s
    Rickenbacker 4001 (1977)
    Spector Euro 4 LX
    Ken Smith BT4
    Musicman Stingray
    Power by Carvin B1000 through Markbass 2x10 Traveler (x2) (MarkBass Nano for practice/small gigs)

Somebody turn up the Bass!

www.engine14.com
    www.facebook.com/engine14band[/SIZE]

Hmmm. . . yes, but I'd still start shopping my talents to other bands who may actually want a bass player

Yes, for sure. Play as much as you can. If you are not in a regular band you need to do that if you can. I play for food :-) actually, I play anytime for anyone. I am in a band but I try to be available as much as I can.

LW Gold Standard 5
    Carvin/Kiesel - Icon5, BB75, PB5, LB70
    Fender - Pbass (DiMarzio Ultra P pickups, Warmoth Jazz neck), American Deluxe PJ, MIJ Walnut Jazz, American Elite Jazz
    Alembic Spoiler
    Rickenbacker 4003s
    Rickenbacker 4001 (1977)
    Spector Euro 4 LX
    Ken Smith BT4
    Musicman Stingray
    Power by Carvin B1000 through Markbass 2x10 Traveler (x2) (MarkBass Nano for practice/small gigs)

Somebody turn up the Bass!

www.engine14.com
    www.facebook.com/engine14band[/SIZE]

Thanks for the advice everybody! I've decided to move on for now and I've actually started talks with another band. Hopefully I'll start with them soon. I'm itchin' for low notes!

Yessssss!!!!

- low life -

+ Reply to Thread